The Top Health Benefits of Milk Kefir
Kefir is basically a cultured beverage that is fermented and tastes the same as yoghurt. Just the way sourdough that makes bread has its own starter, the kefir milk is made from starter grains. The starter contains a mixture of milk protein, yeast, and some bacteria. Kefir milk has a taste that is creamy and tart and has plenty of health benefits that are probiotic. Kefir milk is a probiotic drink. Dairy milk can be used to make kefir but there are other alternatives like;
- Rice milk.
- Coconut milk.
- Goat’s milk.
- Coconut water.
Kefir can be found in most areas with grocery stores or any dairy that’s near. At room temperature, kefir is fermented and contains healthy bacteria which is beneficial to the gastrointestinal tract.
Here are several health benefits of Kefir Milk;
- Its Probiotic nature is more powerful. Microorganism can be beneficial to your health when consumed. They are called probiotic drinks and have an impact on your health in several ways while it assists in digestion, your mental health and managing your weight. The grains have about 61 strains of yeasts and bacteria thus making it a rich source in probiotics.
- Kefir has been discovered to reduce the risk of getting osteoporosis;
- Health. The deterioration of your bone tissue is known as osteoporosis and is a huge issue in the Western States. It usually affects older women thus raising the probability of fractures. Kefir plays a significant role in the metabolism of calcium while adding vitamin K2 which reduces bone fractures by 81%.
- It tackles digestion problems in your tummy. Milk Kefir helps in restoring the balance of harmless bacteria in your stomach. It also effective in treating diarrhea. Other digestive problems it treats include h.pylori infections and bowel syndrome (IBS). It can also be made lactose-free by using fruit juice, non-dairy drinks or coconut water.
- Kefir helps in tackling asthma and allergy symptoms. Most allergies are normally caused by inflammatory reactions against various substances and foods. Those with over-sensitive immune systems are likely to get allergies thus affecting illnesses like asthma. Most of these studies were done on animals that are why human research needs to be explored.
- Kefir is also rich in several nutrients. As stated at the beginning of this article, kefir is a fermented beverage and contains either goat or cow milk. A 175ml ounce of low-fat kefir comprises of;
o 4 grams of protein
o 15 % of phosphorus
o 10 % of calcium
o 12 % of vitamin B12
o 3 % of magnesium
o 10% of riboflavin
o A good quantity of vitamin D
Kombucha is also a tea that has been fermented and has been drunk for many years due to its health benefits like tea. Another thing is that it has probiotics that are also beneficial to your health. It also helps in killing harmful bacteria due to the antioxidants found in it.
Kefir boosts your immune system while treating digestive disorders and bone fractures.